Wednesday 13 November 2013

The World is a Wedding by Wendy Jones

Wilfred Price, purveyor of superior funerals, has lived in Narberth, five miles from the Pembrokeshire coast, all of his life.  It is 1926 and Wilfred now lives there with his father and new wife and the prospect of fatherhood is looming.  As Wilfred prepares himself for this life changing event in his own unique style, the past continues to haunt him.

Following his brief and annulled marriage to Grace, she has fled to London in order to escape her past but she has taken with her a secret which will not be left behind.

Last year I read The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals which I thoroughly enjoyed and this is an equally wonderful sequel.  However, I would recommend reading the prequel first.  Although, this would probably work as a stand alone book, prior knowledge of the characters and their background vastly enhances the reading of this one.

I have fallen in love with Wilfred.  As a character he is no Mr Darcy, but he is kind, generous and sweet natured and I would challenge anyone to read this book and not be somewhat smitten with him.

Wendy Jones has a good grasp of what a novel needs.  This is an amusing and affectionate story told whilst tackling some important and difficult themes and the author has the ability to present them through a light hearted prose without trivialising them.

She also places the novel very well in it’s period through Grace’s involvement with the Suffragette movement and the attitudes and perceptions that Grace was forced to encounter.  It’s a lovely little time piece which places the reader squarely into a 1920’s Welsh village recovering from WWI.

This book is set to become an indulgence read for me.  You know, the kind of thing that you return to time and again when you want a bit of comfort time.  Picture the scene; the busyness of the week has finally passed, a pot of tea is brewing and I’m in my pyjamas.  Now I can just sink into my sofa and indulge myself with this lovely book.  And it’s one I intend to indulge myself in again as it is such a delightful read that I know I will want to return to it along with it’s prequel.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to spoil themselves a little.  So, get the teapot warming, kick off your shoes and sit back and indulge yourself in the world of Wilfred Price.


ISBN:   978-1-78033-379-3

Publisher:  Corsair

Price (based on today’s price on Amazon):  £8.76
This was a review copy sent to me by the publisher.

Total saving so far:  £52.52

No comments:

Post a Comment