Thursday 1 February 2024

Reading Roundup for January 2024


If you have noticed that things have been a little quiet on the blog this week, it is because this gorgeous little bundle of mischief has joined the family!

When I lost my lovely border collie to old age last September I was completly heartbroken. At the time I did not think I would ever have another dog again. Any of you who have lost a beloved pet will understand exactly what I mean. But then my daughter-in-law sent me a link to this litter of puppies, and they and their mum were only twenty minutes away... well you can imagine the rest. I was instantly in love again.

We have called her Roxie and she is a border collie/Bedlington terrier cross. She is a little darling and I am so happy to have another writing companion... that is when she allows me to do any actual writing! So, I hope you will bear with me if my reviews are less frenquent than they usually are.

That said, here is my list of books that I have managed to read this month.


Books I Have Read

Cover the Bones by Chris Hammer - This book is part of the Ivan Lucic and Nell Bucanan series and well worth reading. You can read my review here.

The Pierogi Peril by Geri Krotow - The second book in the Kielbasa Queen series. It was a light-hearted story which will appeal to cozy crime readers.

War of the Wind by Victoria Williamson - I love this author's books. They are all very different but all brilliant in their own way. This one is aimed at children of 10+ You can read my review here.

Maisie's Big Book of Kindness by Lucy Cousins - This lovely picture book for children has a positive measure about kindness, thoughtfulness and sharing.
 
Back to Her Future by Cary J. Hansson - This was a fantastic novel and was easily a five star read for me. You can read my review by clicking here.

The Austrian Bride by Helen Parusel - This was an excellent book set in Austria during the annexation in 1938. You can read my review by clicking here.

Stitch by Padraig Kenny - Based loosley on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, this was my favourite book this month. You can read my review by clicking here.

But You Did Not Come Back Again by Marceline Loridan-Ivens - Although I did not get around to reviewing this book it is well worth reading.

Will You Be My Friend? by Sam McBratney - I will be posting my review of this gorgeous book for young children very soon.

A Kestrel for a Knave by Barry Hines - A brilliant modern classic and my review will be coming soon.

Harvest Cruise by Rebecca Benison - This is an exciting adventure story based around a singles cruise ship. You can read my review by clicking here.

River East, River West by Aube Rey Lescure - A fabulous book set in China. You can read my review by clicking here.

The Secrets of Crestwell Hall by Alexandra Walsh - This is a dual timeline book, moving between the 17th century and the modern day. You can read my review by clicking here.



Books I am Partway Through

 The Brother Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky - expect to see this one here for a while.

Newborn by Kerry Hudson

A Brilliant Life by Rachelle Unreich

Maude Horton's Glorious Revenge by Lizzie Pook

No comments:

Post a Comment