Wednesday 30 September 2020

September 2020 Roundup

 


As September draws to a close here in the UK, we have many counties in local lock-down once again. When we celebrated the New Year in January, we could never in our wildest imaginations predicted what this year would have in store for us all across the globe.

In the South East of England, where I am fortunate enough to live, we have no further restrictions at present. With the 'rule of six' that was recently introduced it meant that six members of my book group could meet in person. We met up in a local park and it was so wonderful to see everyone again and to discuss our monthly book. Alas, I am pretty certain that will be our final outdoor meeting this year as the weather already has an autumnal feel.

I have enjoyed all the books that I have read this month and hope that you have enjoyed your reading too.


Books I have read this month

This Isn't the Sort of Thing That Happens to Someone Like You by Jon McGregor - I love Jon McGregor's books and this volume of short stories was no exception. I was fortunate enough to meet him years ago at a readers and writers conference and he was such a nice man...... sigh.... bit of a fan girl moment for me.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - this is the book that I read along with my book group. This was it's second outing for me and I enjoyed it just as much.

Spirited by Julie Cohen - this was a very enjoyable read and I will be posting my review of this very soon.

A Dangerous Place by Jacqueline Winspear - this is number 11 in the Maisie Dobs series. I have read all of the previous 10 and you can find my review of the third in the series, Pardonable Lies, by clicking on the title.

The Story of Babushka by Catherine Flores - this adorable children's book has lovely illustrations by Ana Beatriz Marques and would be lovely to share with children. You can read my review here.

Fleishman Is in Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner - I really enjoyed this book and my review will be up very soon.

The Postscript Murders by Elly Griffiths - my review of this book can be found here.

Books I Did Not Finish

Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes - I will return to this book at some point.

Books I Am Part Way Through

The Weaker Vessel, Woman's Lot in Seventeenth Century England: Part One by Antonia Fraser - I am really not sure why it is taking me so long to get through this book as it is highly interesting and accessible to read. 

The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri - I only started this one on Tuesday and am enjoying what I have read so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment