Friday 30 April 2021

Reading Roundup for April 2021

 


How beautiful the spring weather is at the moment. The birds are nesting, there are gorgeous little daisies all over my lawn and our heavy winter coats are packed away until next year.

Soon it will be warm enough to sit in the garden and read. I am sure that a few brave souls are doing so already but there is still a chill in the air (and an early morning frost on the ground) which disinclines me to be sedentary outside just yet. 

Having said that, with lockdown restrictions gradually easing it has been wonderful to meet outside to see family and friends once again. Their absence has made me really appreciate those that I love and have missed them all greatly.

I have read some good books this month and my roundup is below. How about you? Have you read anything that you would recommend?


Books I Have Read This Month

Anne Boleyn: A King's Obsession by Alison Weir - This is the second book in the Six Tudor Queens Series. I am really enjoying this series and am looking forward to reading the next one. You can access my review by clicking here.

The Guest Book by Sarah Blake - I liked this book but didn't love it.

The Binding by Bridget Collins - This was my favourite book this month. It was this month's choice for my book group, and as always, it divided opinion but I really loved it. You can access my review by clicking here.

Thrush Green by Miss Read - I read the whole series of these books when I was younger. It was nice to revisit but there was one occasion where the terminology would be considered offensive to a modern readership.

The Less Dead by Denise Mina - An interesting story of an adopted woman who seeks her birth mother.

Silence by Shusaku Endo - A book unlike any I have read before. You can read my review by clicking here.

Books I Did Not Finish

The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe - I had previously read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by this author so had high hopes for this novel but it did not live up to my expectation.

Appius and Virginia by G. E. Trevelyan - I only read the first couple of chapters. It had an interesting premise but it did not deliver for me.

Books I am Partway Through

Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro



No comments:

Post a Comment