Wednesday 30 June 2021

Reading Roundup for June 2021

 


Where on earth has this month gone? Furthermore, where has the sunshine disappeared to? We did have a nice few days but it really was a very short spell. As I write this the weather is warm, humid and wet. Yuk!

This month has not been all bad. Early in the month was my birthday and my husband and I had a lovely weekend away in a hotel near Woking to celebrate. It is just so pleasurable to be able to do normal things like that again, now that restrictions are being lifted. It was a lovely weekend and a fantastic opportunity to relax and read.

I have read some great books this month and not one of them ended up in the 'did not finish' pile. Have you read any of the books below? What have you been reading this month?


Books I Have Read This Month

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides - What an odd book this was. It is one that I have meant to read for years, but I can't say that I liked it particularly.

The Darlings by Angela Jackson - I adored this book and is probably my favourite book this month. I was also privileged to have the opportunity of interviewing the author. You can find my review of the book here and you can read my interview with Angela by clicking here.

Haven't They Grown by Sophie Hannah - This was another great read from the pen of Sophie Hannah. I will be reviewing this in the next few days.

Sorry for the Dead by Nicola Upson - This is book number eight in the Josphine Tey series. I have read all of the previous seven. If you have not tried them do give them a go as they are extremely good. If you would like to read my review of Two for Sorrow, which is the third in the series, you can access it here.

Kaddish.com by Nathan Englander - This was a short read about a Jewish man who made an online purchase of someone to say kaddish for his deceased father. Quite humorous in parts. This is the first book that I have read by this author, but I will definitely be reading more.

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens - I am always cautious by books that have as much hype as this one. However, a few friends recommended it to me so decided to read it. It was outstanding and I could imagine re-reading this one. It was beautiful.

Snow Blind by Ragnar Jonsson - The first in the Dark Iceland series. I enjoyed it very much, and you can read my review by clicking here.

Suspects by Lesley Pearse - This is a departure from the author's usual style and she did not quite pull it off for me.

Everyday Magic by Charlie Laidlaw - I am very fond of Charlie Laidlaw's books. I have previously read The Space Between Time and The Things We Learn When We're Dead and you can access my reviews by clicking on the book title links. Everyday Magic was extremely good, and I really recommend it. You can read my review by clicking here.

The Girl of Ink and Stars by Kiran Millwood Hargrave - This was my book group read for this month. It is a YA title which we were impressed by and concluded it would be enjoyed by young adults.

Books I am Partway Through

The Aleppo Codex by Matti Friedman

The Metal Heart by Caroline Lea

No comments:

Post a Comment