Tuesday 6 July 2021

My Son's Secret by Roberta Kagan - #TuesdayTeaser

 Welcome to this week's Tuesday Teaser.

This week's book is My Son's Secret by Roberta Kagan. I have not read this book myself but I have read another of her books, Not in America, which I enjoyed.

She is an American writer of Jewish and Romany descent and writes historical fiction and historical romance, most of which is set during the Holocaust. Although she never discounts the horrors of the time period, the main focus of her work is on ordinary people who prove to be strong heroic characters in unfathomable circumstances.

Roberta has independently published many of her books and has done so with My Son's Secret. 

So, does this taste of her book make you want to read more? I have a few of her books on my 'to read' list and this one is definitely an addition to that list.  Here in the UK, it is available in both paperback and kindle versions. I would love to  know your thoughts if you do read it.



From the Blurb

My beautiful boy...

Created in love… born into hatred.

There were so many terrifying stories about the Jews. People called them useless vermin, filthy, dangerous. Before I met Abram, I was afraid of them too. But I am about to tell you a very different story - a forbidden story.

My love for Abram defied all reason...as well as German law.

Tonight our son giggles with excitement as he blows out the candles on his birthday cake. But our safety is nothing but an illusion. As his candles burn out, a window shatters outside. The room shudders as the synagogue down the street is engulfed in flames.

Kristallnacht has begun.

When my hidden paradise crumbles like a stack of cards, I must do everything in my power to protect that which is most precious to me. My son's secret must remain hidden.

Before we lose everything.

If you enjoyed The Book Thief, you will adore this heart-wrenching saga of pain, courage, and incredible resilience set in our world's darkest time.


First Page

Prologue

Kara set the modest cake on the table in front of her blond-haired, blue-eyed son. She studied him and marvelled at how much he looked like her. "Our precious son is two years old today," she said, smiling at Abram Ehrlich, the child's father. Abram, with his black, wavy hair and dark eyes stood at her side, his face shining with love for her and their little boy.

"Are you ready to blow out the candles?" Kara asked as Abram began lighting the three candles. "Look, you have three candles. One for each year of your life and one extra. That one is for good luck." Kara ran her fingers through her son's blond curls.

"Bubbie, you blow candles."

Hoda Ehrlich laughed. "Karl, of course I will help you," she said. "What a big boy you are now. Every day you grow more and more handsome. Soon you'll be a fully grown man.

Karl giggled.

Kara stood back and watched. Her heart swelled with love for the people who were with her in this small kitchen. It was hard to believe that a few years ago she'd lived a completely different life. She'd grown up in a Gentile home. Her parents had instilled a great fear of Jews in her and her sister. But now, these people, who were Jewish, were her family. And even though her mother-in-law had been against the relationship in the beginning, Hoda had become Kara's best friend and strongest supporter.

ISBN: 979-8748084239

Publisher: Independently published by Roberta Kagan

***

Well, I certainly want to read on. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment