Thursday, 17 September 2026

Little Wolf's Big Huff by Harriet Howe & Illustrated by Katie Cottle - #bookreview


Every year, Little Wolf and Daddy Wolf took a trip to watch the Wolf Moon rise.

They always had the most wonderfully-waggy-tailed time...


***

I am required to make it clear at the beginning of my reviews that I received this book for free from the publisher. I have not been paid for doing this and all opinions are my own. I am Bookshop.org affiliated, which means I earn a very small amount of money if you buy from there using my direct link. Although I include purchase links to Amazon, I am not affiliated with them. I include them to make it easy for you to navigate to them if you so wish.

***


The Blurb

Every year, Little Wolf and Daddy Wolf watch the Wolf Moon rise. Two wolves, alone together, under the big night sky. But this year's trip is looking to be a little bit BIGGER and BUSIER than usual... This time all the brothers, sisters and pups are coming, too. Little Wolf is worried it won't be the same...

And sure enough, it ISN'T. As things go from bad to worse, strange feelings start to bubble in Little Wolf's belly and fizz through his fur. Before long, he feels BIG and BAD. He huffs...and he puffs...

Can Daddy Wolf help Little Wolf get a handle on his huffs and puffs before it's too late? And teach him about a very special part of being a wolf?

This reassuring picture book is packed with fairytale-like storytelling and in-depth character and world building, supporting children when they are faced with BIG feelings to process. Perfect for fans of Barbara Throws a Wobbler, The Colour Monster and Tom Percival's Big Bright Feelings series.


My Review

This is a delightful picture book to share with children finding themselves in need of a little reassurance.

Little Wolf is a charming character. He is a first child, followed by lots of younger siblings. He's okay as long as his annual wolf moon watch stays just as it's always been, with just him and Daddy Wolf. Then one year when Mummy Wolf is unwell, the baby wolves come too and it scares Little Wolf who thinks it just won't be the same.

I loved the language that the author used in this book to describe Little Wolf's feelings. She describes him as having a "wobbling worry inside... the not-fairness... churning round and round and upside down... big feelings bubbled in his belly..."

The author conjures up the worry and fear that children experience at one time or another in their young lives. However, I also loved how Daddy Wolf teaches him coping strategies for when he feels worried and unsure. In fact, at the back of the book is a page demonstrating to children how to use these strategies for themselves. Overall, what this book is really saying is that it is okay to have unhappy feelings and to express them. If I could go back in time and visit my childhood self, I would be taking a copy of this book with me.

The illustrations are delightfully done and add to the text really well. I loved seeing the mischief the younger siblings were causing without it being said in the text. They have been done in a lovely palette of colours and are evocative.

I highly recommend this book to the little ones in your life. It carries so much in its forty pages and is a lovely story which would provide an opportunity to discuss how a child is feeling.

A brilliant picture book that is well worth getting your hands on.


Book Details

ISBN: 9781835874455

Publisher: Bonnier Books

Formats: Paperback

No. of Pages: 40


Purchase Links

Bookshop.org

Amazon UK


About the Author

Harriet's first word was "book", she's loved stories ever since, so it's a dream come true to end up writing her own. Originally from London, she now lives in Suffolk with her family. When not writing, Harriet works in television; she's filmed talking horses, chefs in jets and pop princesses in fabulous dresses. But she's happiest with a pencil in one hand and a cup of tea in the other, brewing up her next story.

You can also find Harriet at:

Author Website

Instagram

X

Bluesky


About the Illustrator

Katie Cottle is a freelance illustrator and picture-bookmaker based in Bristol. Originally from Swansea, Katie graduated from the Illustration course at the University of the West of England in 2017. She enjoys telling stories through drawing, and uses a variety of media, including a mix of traditional and digital techniques. She was shortlisted for the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize for The Blue Giant. She particularly enjoys using bright colours and drawing grumpy faces. 

You can also find Katie at:

Website

Instagram


My Other Blog Posts Featuring This Author/Illustrator

Tiger's Last Roar




(ARC and media courtesy of the publisher)

(all opinions are my own)

(Bookshop.org affiliated)

No comments:

Post a Comment