Sunday 31 May 2020

May Roundup

It is a strange situation when we are forced to stay home. The days have sometimes seemed endless but I have tried to keep positive throughout. However, one really good thing to come from this (apart from keeping safe and well, of course) is that it has created much more reading time. In fact, I have managed to read 11 books this month which is about double my usual monthly average.

Also, summer has come here in the UK and it makes such a difference to be able to retreat to the garden with my sun hat and a book. As the restrictions are being lifted now there are lots more cars on the road and I have really noticed how much more I heard birdsong when stricter restrictions were in place. I love the quiet so this was a big positive for me. However, it is great that the country is getting back to some level of normality. I truly hope that you and your loved ones have kept safe and well.

Have you a read anything good during lockdown? I would love to hear about it.

Tomorrow I will be back with a sneaky peek of the books that I want to read during June.


Books I read in May

A Stash of One's Own: Knitters on Loving, Living With, and Letting Go of Yarn by Clara Parkes - a collection of essays looking at the different attitudes of having a yarn stash. Lovely book.

Found by Erin Kinsley - This was my book group choice this month and we all loved it. My review can be found here.

The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd - From the author of The Secret Life of Bees; a very different story narrated by the fictional wife of Jesus. You can read my review here.

The Book of Lights by Chaim Potok - I really like this author's work but I did not think this was one of his best.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - a mammoth read and my first foray into Russian Literature.

Sew Cute Quilts and Gifts: 30 Lovely Bags, Quilts and Accessories to Stitch, Quilt and Embroider by Atsuko Matsuyama - This is a wonderful book and you can read my review here.

The Revolt by Clara Dupont-Monod - a novel of Eleanor of Aquitane.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman - I adored this book and you can read my review here.

A History of English Place Names and Where They Came From by John Moss - a comprehensive book detailing the history of place names in England. You can find my review here.

The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold - This was my favourite book this month and my review can be found here.

The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton


Books I am Partway Through

Diary of the Fall by Michel Laub

Witches: James I and the English Witch-Hunts by Tracy Borman.


No comments:

Post a Comment