Thursday 30 July 2020

July 2020 Roundup

I like July and all the lovely things that it brings. The weather is usually warm and sunny (hopefully), everything is blooming in the great outdoors and it is the month when we celebrate our wedding anniversary. 

With that in mind, I should have a list of romantic reading this month but I haven't. It is my usual mixture of genres and books that caught my eye and whispered "read me" seductively in my ear. When that happens it would just be jolly well rude not to!

What have you been reading this month? Have you any good suggestions? I would love to hear about them.

Books I Read in July

A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe - This was a fascinating insight into the Plague in London during 1665. The  attitudes of the inhabitants of London were remarkable for their similarity of which we have recently experienced.

The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell - Another fabulous book by this author. She is such a skilled storyteller and this lives up to her reputation in every way. You can read review here.

This is How it Ends by V. B. Grey - Reading this book was like watching it on the silver screen as it has a cinematic quality. Excellent. You can read my review here.

On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong - This was a birthday gift from my son which I was very excited to receive. However, it did not live up to my expectation as it did not deliver on the blurb. The UK version does have one of the prettiest covers though.

The Death of Lucy Kyte by Jacqueline Winspear - Number five in the Josephine Tey series. I am really enjoying this series and already looking forward to reading the next one.

Witches: James I and the English Witch Hunts by Tracy Borman - This excellent book was educational and very accessible. I highly recommend it if you are interested in the 17th century.

Save the Cat! Writes a Novel by Jessica Brody - This was interesting and engagingly talks about the structure of a novel.

The Day She Came Back by Amanda Prowse - I really enjoyed this book and my review can be found here.

The Eve Illusion by Giovanna and Tom Fletcher - This is part 2 in the YA Eve of Man trilogy. It's a great story by this husband and wife writing duo.

Books I Did Not Finish

Stitching a Life by Mary Helen Fein - I read about 15% of this book when I decided life is too short and moved onto something else.

Scattered Seed by Maisie Mosco - This is the second volume in the Almonds and Raisins series. I really enjoyed the first one when I read it but I could not get into this one.

Books I Am Partway Through

The Weaker Vessel, Woman's Lot in Seventeenth Century England: Part One by Antonia Fraser.

Murder in Chianti by Camilla Trinchieri




No comments:

Post a Comment