Tuesday 14 September 2021

Dark Things I Adore by Katie Latarri - #TuesdayTeaser

 Hello and welcome to this week's Tuesday Teaser. The place where we take a sneaky peek at a book that has caught my eye.

This week we have a brand new publication. Released today, Dark Things I Adore by Katie Lattari looks like an engrossing read.

Katie's debut novel, American Vaudeville, was published in 2016, and she has contributed to several short story anthologies. A native of Brooklyn, New York, Katie now lives in Bangor, Maine, with her husband Kevin, and their cat, Alex.



The Blurb

Three campfire secrets. Two witnesses. One dead in the trees. And the woman, thirty years later, bent on making the guilty finally pay.

1988. A group of outcasts gather at a small, prestigious arts camp nestled in the Maine woods. They're the painters: bright, hopeful, teeming with potential. But secrets and dark ambitions rise like smoke from a campfire, and the truths they tell will come back to haunt them in ways more deadly than they dreamed.

2018. Esteemed art professor Max Durant arrives at his protégé's remote home to view her graduate thesis collection. He knows Audra is beautiful and brilliant. He knows being invited into her private world is a rare gift. But he doesn't know that Audra has engineered every aspect of their weekend together. Every detail, every conversation. Audra has woven the perfect web.

Only Audra knows what happened that summer in 1988. Max's secret, and the dark things that followed. And even though it won't be easy, Audra knows someone must pay.

***

Prologue - Excellent Friends

Audra - Friday March 16th 2018

A smudged, barking pattern - male.

My vision is pulled back into focus by a voice, louder than the others, in the room behind the closed door. I blink the water stain on the ceiling into something with sharp, definite borders. It looks like a tree or hand, tendrils grasping outward. I'm lying on the old couch outside one of the institute's larger lecture halls, fingers laced beneath my head. The couch is ratty but comfortable, and because it's art school, it has panache, covered and saved by years and years' worth of weird little fabric patches and guerrilla embroidery jobs - furniture Frankensteined. The lecture hall across the way is a sixty-seater set aside for visiting speakers, conferences and large workshops. Right now, faculty from across departments and disciplines are gathered in there, having their second and final all-faculty meeting of the academic year. I'm out here because Max Durant is in there. My handsome professor. My dedicated mentor. Professor Durant told me before class this morning that I should wait for him after the meeting. He told me he wanted to see me. That we should talk. Maybe grab dinner. I let him know he could look for me when he got out.

A muffled scrape and shuffle rises behind the door; bags are being gathered, friendly chatter is breaking out. I look at my phone - it's almost six in the evening. They were supposed to be done by half past five. I push myself to sitting and look up and down the vacant hallway...

***

I wonder what she sees? I definitely want to read on and find out. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment