Tuesday 30 November 2021

Reading Roundup for November 2021

 



During November we have had extremes of weather. It began by being mild and is now very cold. In other parts of the country people have endured the effects of Storm Arwen. Here in the south east we have been fairly lucky. It is cold but that is what hats and scarves were invented for, and it gives me a good excuse to knit up a few more.

Two F's are symbolic of this month - fireworks and face masks. Where I live, fireworks have been going off throughout the whole month. When did Firework 'Night' become a whole month thing?

It is also mandatory again that we wear face masks in shops and on public transport. Personally, I will do whatever it takes in an attempt to keep a lid on covid and I hope others will also wear their masks diligently.

My reading during November has been a mixed affair with a few good books within the mix. However, there was only one standout book, the details of which are below.

I hope that you have had a lovely November. Have you read anything good? Do tell.


Books I Have Read During November


Singin' and Swingin' and Gettin' Merry Like Christmas by Maya Angelou - This is the third book in the author's autobiographical series. I am a huge fan of hers and have enjoyed everything that I have read by her.

Written in History by Simon Sebag Montefiore - An interesting collection of letters from a range of well known historical figures.

The Ninth Child by Sally Magnusson - This was the book of choice for my book group and also, my favourite read of the month. You can read my review by clicking here.

The Violinist of Auschwitz by Jean-Jacques Felstein - the child of a holocaust survivor tells his mothers story. You can read my review by clicking here.

The Return by Anita Frank - This was very nearly my favourite of the month. My review of this excellent book will be up next week so watch this space.

Paradise by Abdulrazak Gurnah - I had high hopes of this book, written by the winner of this year's Nobel Prize for Literature. Sadly, it did not live up to my expectation.

The Christmas Killer by Alex Pine - An enjoyable mystery with a Christmas theme.

Tales From the Italian South by Angelina Brasacchio - a lovely anthology of short stories. You can read my review by clicking here.

Rags of Time by Michael Ward - the first book in the historical crime series set during the 17th Century and featuring Thomas Tallant.


Books I am Partway Through

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank


(header photo courtesy of Jingda Chen/Undplash)




No comments:

Post a Comment