Monday 18 July 2022

Desert Island Books with Victoria Goldman


Hello and welcome back to Desert Island Books on the blog. I am thrilled to have Victoria Goldman joining us this month.

Victoria's recently released debut novel, The Redeemer, has received rave reviews. You can read my review of this fabulous book by clicking here. 

Victoria is a freelance journalist, editor and proofreader. She was given an honourable mention for The Redeemer in the Capital Crime/DHH Literary Agency New Voices Award 2019.


So, Victoria, how do you think you would get on if you were stranded on a desert island?

I think I’d be OK initially, as I’m used to working on my own from home – and I’d love to live by the sea or ocean (as long as it’s not too stormy). I’m fairly practical so I reckon I’d work out how to build a shelter and whatever else needs to be done. But … I’m not sure I’d survive without internet access for very long, and I would miss interactions with other people (especially my friends and family) after a while too!


Destinations of a Lifetime by National Geographic

If I’m stuck on a desert island with nowhere to go, this doesn’t mean I still can’t travel in my head. And it sounds like this book would do the job. A different destination each night and then I can start again. I love the natural world and enjoy looking at photos of different places. During the first lockdown in 2020, I watched several online webcams around the world, especially those in zoos, as a way of escaping the house (virtually).



Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

I’d like to say this is a book that I’ve read hundreds of times, but it’s been sitting on my Kindle for years and I’ve never read it, despite really wanting to. It’s 944 pages so would certainly keep me occupied. I’d need the paper version though. (And now I need to find it on my Kindle and start reading it!)




Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

This is a book that makes me smile and makes me think. It’s a book about love and loss, and about the passing of time. One of my favourites that I could read again and again.







Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes

This psychological thriller is a masterclass in plotting, characterisation, setting and suspense. Though it may be a little disturbing to read if I’m alone on this desert island!







How To Be Brave by Louise Beech

This is one of the books I recommend the most. It’s about courage, hope and survival – and I’d need plenty of that if I’m stranded on a desert island. One reason this book is special to me is that it reminds me of a book I started writing around 10 years ago but never finished, loosely based on the story of my great uncle who died in a submarine attack at Salerno in Italy in 1943. Louise’s book is beautifully written and tugs at the heartstrings.




Billy Summers by Stephen King

A few years ago, I decided I would re-read all of the Stephen King books, as these were my favourite books in my teenage years, but I didn’t find the time. I now think I’d like to read something I’ve not read before, and, if I’m stuck on my own, also something that isn’t too creepy. Billy Summers is 400+ pages, so meaty enough to last a while. 





Papillon by Henri Charriere

Here’s another book I read as a teenager. This would be a reminder that life could be worse, as Henri Charrière was locked away in a brutal penal colony for 13 years. It should hopefully make me feel better if I’m stranded on a desert island (as long as it’s a safe one).






The Dandelion Years by Erica James

I tend to read dark fiction – horror, crime fiction and thrillers. But I suspect that I’ll appreciate a feel-good read. When I read and reviewed The Dandelion Years in 2015, I wrote: ‘What an amazing heart-wrenching story and beautifully written book. Over the last few days, I have cried at, laughed through and shared the memories of Saskia and her family.’ After reading this book, I visited Bletchley Park, where one thread is set. So this book carries memories of family outings too.



Thank you, Victoria, for sharing your choices. You have chosen a good range of books - something for every mood.

If you are an author and would be interested in taking part, then please get in touch by emailing me at leftontheshelf1@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment