Tuesday 31 October 2023

Reading Roundup for October 2023

 


Hi everyone. Here we are at the end of October, and here in the UK it is seasonally wet. The leaves on the trees are yellowing and all around me looks pretty.

This month I celebrated my ten year blog anniversary and posted my favourite book from each decade. I will pop a list at the bottom of each post with a link to each of those reviews in case you missed any. It was lovely to reaquaint myself with books that meant so much to me.

October has provided the perfect weather for hunkering down with a book and I have done that whenever time permitted. Here are the books which I have read this month.


Books I Have Read

The Stories We Cannot Tell by Leslie A. Rusmussen - This was a fantastic book about two strong women and the bonds they form when their pregnancies go wrong. You can read my review by clicking here.

The Puppet Maker by Jenny O'Brien - This is the first in the Alana Mack detective series. It features a disabled detective and was enjoyable to read. You can read my review by clicking here.

The Memory of an Elephant by Alex Lasker - This was a fabulous read which was chosen by my book club and well worth reading. Unfortunately, I did not have time to review this book but it was a great read and I highly recommend it.

Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown by Anne Glenconner - This one was chosen by the book group that I lead and was an interesting read. She has led a fascinating life and the glimpse into Princess Margaret's life was really interesting.

The Mile End Murder by Sinclair McKay - A non fiction title based on a true crime of a murder committed in 1860 in London's East End. I enjoyed this very much.

Celebrations for the Woolworth Girls by Elaine Everest - This is the ninth book in the series. I haven't read the previous ones and it works well as a standalone novel. You can read my review by clicking here.

Black Fox One by Elyse Hoffman - This follows on from The Vengeance of Samuel Val which I reviewed last month (here) Again, it works well as a standalone novel. You can read my review by clicking here.

Spooky Little Halloween: A Finger Wiggle Book by Sally Symes and Nick Sharratt - A sweet little board book for little ones. You can read my review by clicking here.

The Mother of All Problems by Nancy Peach - This book was my favourite read this month. Emotive and funny about a woman who is trying to be juggle life. You can read my review by clicking here.

Pax and the Missing Head by David Barker -  A dystopian story for middle grade children and an excellent read. You can find my review by clicking here.

Blood Libel - by Michael Lynes - A book set in Spain at the time of the inquisition. The first in the Isaac Alvarez. I really enjoyed this and I will be reviewing the second book in the series soon. You can find my review of Blood Libel by clicking here.

Charlotte's Snowman by Lainey Dee - A nice picture book for children about a child who develops a friendship with a snowman. You can read my review by clicking here.

Books I am Partway Through

Ghosted by Rosie Mullender

The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan

New York Miracle by Margo Laurie

This month was my ten year blog anniversary which I celebrated by posting my favourite book from each decade and you can read the post by clicking on the book title. As promised here they are, just in case you missed them.

My celebratory post can be found here.

2013My Dear I Wanted to Tell You by Louisa Young

2014 Prayers for the Stolen by Jennifer Clement

2015 The Pearl That Broke It's Shell by Nadia Hasimi

2016 The Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer

2017 The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff

2018 White Chrysanthemum by Mary Lynn Bracht

2019 A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

2020 - The Five by Hallie Rubenhold

2021 - The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Dare

2022 - House Boy by Lorenzo DeStefano

Happy Halloween Everyone!


(header photo courtesy of Samuel Chorlton)




2 comments: