Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Indie in Disguise: Stylist-ing and Other Jobs by Katie Clapham and Illustrated by Emma Farrarons - #bookreview

Indie woke up feeling fabulous. She put on: star-shaped sunglasses, a dress over a top under a jacket, three necklaces and the fancy socks...

***

I am required to make it clear at the beginning of my reviews that I received this book for free from the publisher. I have not been paid for doing this and all opinions are my own. I am Bookshop.org affiliated, which means I earn a very small amount of money if you buy from there using my direct link. Although I include purchase links to Amazon, I am not affiliated with them. I include them to make it easy for you to navigate to them if you so wish.

***

The Blurb

Meet Indie, a girl who loves imaginary play, in these full colour illustrated stories – perfect for encouraging independent reading for children aged 5-7.

Hilarious, playful and perfectly true to both imaginary play and family life, this is the first title in a sparky chapter books series for newly independent readers.

Indie is a little girl with a big personality – and quite the flair for the dramatics! What job will she roleplay today? In these four stories, Indie takes on four very important jobs: a librarian, a cleaner, a dentist, and even a stylist – star-shaped sunglasses at the ready! But these jobs are never easy. Indie's dentist chair (balanced backwards on a skateboard) isn't particularly stable, and when Mum doesn't look like Mum anymore in her big floppy hat and fur-trim gloves, Fashionista Indie ponders... Is there such a thing as TOO much style?

The adventures continue in Indie in Disguise: Astronaut-ing and Other Jobs.


My Review

This is a delightful book aimed at both girls and boys who enjoy imaginative play.

Based on the cover alone, it would be easy to assume that this early reader chapter book is aimed at girls. However, I think boys would enjoy it just as much.

The opening story, Indie the Stylist, is followed by Indie the Cleaner, Indie the Dentist and Indie the Librarian. Indie is an adorable character, full of enthusiasm and trying new things. Children will be able to engage with her character very well.

It has been nicely illustrated by Emma Farrarons.  Children will enjoy following the illustrations alongside reading the text.

It is full of humour and is ideal for children aged around six to eight years of age, depending on their reading ability. Any child who enjoys playing dress up will love this book.

I can't wait to share it with my grandchildren. I think this would be perfect for sharing as well as for early chapter reading.


Book Details

ISBN:  978 1529522099

Publisher:  Walker Books Ltd

Formats:  e-book and paperback

No. of Pages:   64 (paperback)

Series:  First book in a planned series


Purchase Links

Bookshop.org

Amazon UK

Vinted


About the Author

Katie Clapham is the co-owner of independent bookshop Storytellers, Inc. with her mum. Picked by The Bookseller as a rising star, Katie was also named Best Young Bookseller at the British Book Awards. Katie is the author of acclaimed teen comedy Three Girls (UCLan, 2022), and The Missing Bookshop (Stripes, 2019). She lives by the sea with her husband, daughter and dog, where she writes the popular Substack newsletter, Receipt from the Bookshop, as well as working in the bookshop. 

You can also find Katie at:

Instagram

X


My Other Blog Posts Featuring This Author

The Tour at School (Because You're the New Kid!)



(ARC and media courtesy of the publisher)

(all opinions are my own)

(Bookshop.org affiliated)

No comments:

Post a Comment