The first snow flurries danced in the breeze as Amelia Tremayne stepped out of her red Austin-Healey sports car and strode towards Tyler House. Her skin prickled at the sight of a building she had spent ten years trying to forget...
***
I am required to make it clear at the beginning of my reviews that I received this book for free from Rachel's Random Resources. I have not been paid for doing this and all opinions are my own. I am Bookshop.org affiliated, which means I earn a very small amount of money if you buy from there using my direct link. Although I include purchase links to Amazon, I am not affiliated with them. I include them to make it easy for you to navigate to them if you so wish.
***
The Blurb
A HOUSE ON THE EDGE
A DAUGHTER DRIVEN TO OBSESSION
A FORBIDDEN LOVE
Winter 1962. Amelia Tremayne has spent the past ten years in London trying to forget the lonely clifftop house where her father was killed. Tyler House was built shortly before the Second World War on Cornwall’s stormy coast by a wealthy German outsider. Its most unsettling feature is a vast glass dome that bends the light, casting twisted, elongated shadows across the walls.
Amelia’s father, Douglas Tremayne, a noted historian, was researching a controversial book about Tyler House’s Nazi origins - and its links to powerful figures in the local community.
As Amelia begins to uncover the truth about her father’s death, she is pulled into a web of buried secrets - and into a forbidden love that could destroy everything she holds dear.
INSPIRED BY A TRUE STORY
My Review
This book is an exciting story which I enjoyed reading.
The main character, Amelia, is obsessed with Tyler House, her childhood home in Cornwall. However, Tyler House is creeping closer to the edge of a cliff. Ten years prior, her historian father was murdered there and Amelia believes the manuscript that he was killed for is hidden somewhere in the house.
In some ways, Tyler House was the main character in this book. It has a dark history, and an eerie, brooding presence. Within its rooms and hallways, secrets are hidden. The author did a fabulous job of describing the house and its rapid decline into the sea beneath.
The author skillfully brought his characters, setting and story alive on the page. He knows exactly how to create atmosphere, from the decaying house through to the heavy snowfalls which isolated the village. He portrays the sense of isolation and captivity really well.
This novel is full of suspense and tension and kept me turning the pages. It is well worth reading and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a suspenseful mystery with some eeriness thrown in.
Book Details
Publisher: Dark Spider Books
Formats: e-book (currently available on Kindle Unlimited)
No. of Pages: 344
Series: Part of the Wild Cornwall series
Purchase Links
About the Author
You can also find him at:
My Other Blog Posts of Based in Cornwall
The Cornish Rebel by Nicola Pryce
A Mother's Hope for the Cornish Girls by Better Walker
The Vanishing Act by Jo Jakeman
Don't Look Away by Rachel Abbott
(ARC and media courtesy of Rachel's Random Resources)
(all opinions are my own)



No comments:
Post a Comment