Wednesday 31 July 2024

Reading Roundup for July 2024

 


Woo hoo! It is finally summer here in the UK. Yay! Don't worry. It will be two minutes before we are all complaining it is too hot!

However, I am so pleased that I have finally been able to retreat to the garden with my puppy, Roxie. My sweet little puppy has turned into a teenager and is testing all of the boundaries at the moment. She is a gorgeous little thing though and I would not be without her.

Anyhow, here are the books which I have read this month.


Books I Have Read

The Book of Longing by Leonard Cohen - I am not a huge fan of poetry but enjoyed reading these.

Maya Angelou: the complete poetry by Maya Angelou - Another poetry book this month but I love everything she has ever written. A remarkable lady.

Courage for the Clarks Factory Girls by May Ellis - This is the second in a series but worked perfectly well as a stand alone novel. You can find my review by clicking here.

The Idle Stance of the Tippler Pigeon by Safinah Danish Elahi - What a fantastic title to catch a reader's eye with. Great book too. You can find my review by clicking here.

A Town Called Solace by Mary Lawson - This was my favourite read this month. Exquisitely written. You can find my review by clicking here.

Creative Crafting: A First Book of Upcycling by Daniela Sosa - A great book for children. You can find my review by clicking here.

My Father's House by Joseph O'Connor - A well written story set in Rome during WWII.

Felicity's War by Jean Fullerton - I love this series. This is the third book in the Stepney Girls series but worked well as a stand alone novel. You can find my review by clicking here.

The Lost Queen by Carol McGraph - Historical fiction featuring the little known queen, Queen Berengaria who was the wife of King Richard I. You can find my review by clicking here.

Where the Water Takes Us by Alan Barillaro - A nice chapter book for children.

Borrowed Memories by Mark Foss -  I really enjoyed this book. It is the story of a middle aged man, and his coming to terms with the ageing of his parents. You can find my review by clicking here.

Prospects by Kate Wilson - This book is set in Los Angeles, and the place is every bit as important as the plot or characters. You can find my review by clicking here.

Smelly Peggy by Helen Stephens - This is an adorable picture book that pet lovers will enjoy. You can find my review by clicking here.

Last Seen Online by Lauren James - If you like a young adult novel with a twisty turny ending you will love this book. You can find my review by clicking here.

The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams - This is the perfect book for book lovers, and I enjoyed every word. You can find my review by clicking here.

Books I Did Not Finish

The Attraction of Cuba by Chris Hilton - I really wanted to like this memoir of a man's travels to Cuba. Unfortunately, it did not hit the right note for me.

Between Friends and Lovers by Shirlene Obuobi - No idea why I couldn't get into this. Give it a try!

Faith of Their Fathers by Samuel M. Sargeant - I could not get into this one either. I did read a fair chunk of the book though before I gave up.

Books I Am Partway Through

A Class Act by Julie Houston

The Missing Family by Tim Weaver

Ancestry by Simon Mawer

No comments:

Post a Comment